Of course, I couldn't just switch furniture and move him in. I wanted to completely redo the room and had actually been planning how I wanted to redo it for Bryson for months. I wanted to start with making a window seat with built in cabinets beside it. I went to several stores looking for base cabinets that were the right size and an affordable price, plus I wanted wood and not the plastic looking ones. I finally found some unfinished wood base cabinets at the Southcenter Home Depot. They were perfect as they each had a top drawer and a bottom cabinet, this was exactly what I wanted for storage purposes and because both cabinets were going to cover outlets and I knew we need to cut them out to expose the outlets. That would not have worked for a cabinet with drawers. We actually started this process in November and worked on it when we had time.
Monday, December 20, 2010
Bryson's new room progress
Since, we are getting close to having our new baby boy we needed to move Bryson into the former guest room so the nursery would be ready by February (or before that if possible as I am due on February 1st). This is the only "before" picture that I really have of the room and it is only because one day when Jaden was around 4 he went around and took random pictures of our house, thankfully!
Of course, I couldn't just switch furniture and move him in. I wanted to completely redo the room and had actually been planning how I wanted to redo it for Bryson for months. I wanted to start with making a window seat with built in cabinets beside it. I went to several stores looking for base cabinets that were the right size and an affordable price, plus I wanted wood and not the plastic looking ones. I finally found some unfinished wood base cabinets at the Southcenter Home Depot. They were perfect as they each had a top drawer and a bottom cabinet, this was exactly what I wanted for storage purposes and because both cabinets were going to cover outlets and I knew we need to cut them out to expose the outlets. That would not have worked for a cabinet with drawers. We actually started this process in November and worked on it when we had time.
The only quirk was that the right side of the window was about 4 inches bigger than the left side, but I was confident that I could remedy that with some trimwork later on.
The left cabinet sat exactly flush against the wall and right up to the window trim.
Here's Todd cutting out the hole for accessing the outlet on the left side of the window.
After attaching the base cabinet securely to the walls and making sure it was level, we kind of guessed our way through how to make the upper portion bookshelves. We started by nailing a piece of mdf to the wall.
Then attached another piece of mdf on the side of the cabinet as well as to the ceiling. We knew it would be even more secure when we added on each of the shelves which would give it even more support. The left side:
The right side (with the gap between the base cabinet/bookshelf and the wall although it is hard to tell in this picture):
The beginning of the window seat:
We just figured it out and made it up as we went along. This bothered Todd but I knew it would turn out in the end. I just kept saying that trimwork would hide all the "mistakes" he didn't completely believe me all the time but I had a vision!
The lid of the window seat. I researched what type of hinges to get as I wanted the same kind of hinge as what is used on toy boxes so that the top will not slam down on little fingers or people! I finally found them at McLendon's, I bought several not sure of how many we would need.
Another picture of the right side, here you can see the gap that I will have to figure out how to cover with trim and make it look ok!
A close-up of the left side:
A picture of the toy box hinges:
Keeping it real, this is what the rest of the room looked like as we were working on this project! A lot to do in the next month or so! My goal is to work on it a lot over the holiday break while I am not working at school.
I took the boys to the University Village today to pick something up, they had this sleigh there so I had them get in and snapped this picture of them:)
Of course, I couldn't just switch furniture and move him in. I wanted to completely redo the room and had actually been planning how I wanted to redo it for Bryson for months. I wanted to start with making a window seat with built in cabinets beside it. I went to several stores looking for base cabinets that were the right size and an affordable price, plus I wanted wood and not the plastic looking ones. I finally found some unfinished wood base cabinets at the Southcenter Home Depot. They were perfect as they each had a top drawer and a bottom cabinet, this was exactly what I wanted for storage purposes and because both cabinets were going to cover outlets and I knew we need to cut them out to expose the outlets. That would not have worked for a cabinet with drawers. We actually started this process in November and worked on it when we had time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment