Friday, January 30, 2009

Winter Activities

During the winter months I have always tried to find interesting and creative indoor activities for the kids to do. Here are a few examples of some fun things that we do when cooped-up inside the house during the cold/rainy days of Seattle.

1) Forts--I think everyone has a fond memory of creating forts when they were little. It is amazing how a couple of blankets/sheets over a table or a couch can expand a childs' imagination and creativity. I remember making forts out of our couch cushions when I was little. Last week Jaden, Bryson and Kailee had a fabulous time playing in a fort that we constructed in the loft.
Photobucket
A view inside
Photobucket

2) Art/Playdough (Gak/Oobleck, etc.)--Painting (with a brush, finger-painting, marble painting, etc.), stamping, stickers, art projects, coloring, etc. The boys love to create art and honestly I should really do art with them more. We seem to go in waves of doing a lot of arts and crafts and then none for awhile. I am going to make an effort to do art and playdough more often.

Bryson finger-painting and then covering his cheeks (fortunately this was right before bath time!)
Photobucket
Jaden and Kailee stringing beads for necklaces
Photobucket
Jaden (back in the day--23 mo.) finger painting. It took him awhile to enjoy finger painting as he really didn't like the feel of it the first few times!
Photobucket
(Jaden 24 mo.)
Photobucket
Bryson having fun with home-made playdough.
Photobucket

3) Making food--I love to bake and both boys often love to help by measuring ingredients, pouring, stirring, scooping, etc. They often help me make cookies, muffins and bread. Jaden went through a time when he was a little over 2 yrs. that he was obsessed with helping me in the kitchen. He really enjoyed helping me cut food up, so I gave him some soft food (cooked vegetables, or fruit like a banana) and he would cut them up with a butter knife. He was so diligent and cute that I just kick myself that I never photographed him doing that at the time! My boys also enjoy helping to make smoothies by putting in berries (usually frozen), a banana, yogurt, juice and a little squeeze of honey. YUM!
Here's Jaden enjoying his smoothie (25 mo.)
Photobucket

4) Dress-up-- Children always love to dress-up and pretend that they are someone else, and my boys are no exception! Up until Christmas the only dress-up stuff that we had were old Halloween costumes and a few masks, hats and Mardi Gras beads. Grandma Annette gave Jaden a bunch of dress-up costumes for Christmas and the kids have had a great time dressing up since. Special thanks to our lovely neighbor (http://theburntcookie.blogspot.com/) who donated some princess dresses a few months ago to us as well!
Photobucket
Buzz with some Bling!
Photobucket
Old School pic of Nina, Jaden and Kailee back in September of '06!
Photobucket
Henry and Jaden (both age 2 1/2) the scuba divers
Photobucket

5) Games--We have a lot of children's board games that I get out during the long winter months when I notice that the children need a change of pace (ie. they are bickering). Our good pals in Boston sent the boys this great game Hullabaloo for Christmas and it has been such a fun ACTIVE winter game! Plus it helps in teaching Bryson his colors and shapes and to follow directions and listen too!
Photobucket
Elefun (which Todd and I nicknamed "Hella-fun") is another active game that I bring out every once-in-awhile for the kids to play. Here's a video of Jaden and Claire playing it (and singing too) back in July '07.


6) Music/Dancing--Todd and I have always enjoyed turning up the music and dancing with the kids. It is one of the reasons he installed in-ceiling speakers in many rooms while building our house. We can often be found (especially on the weekends) listening to Country, Rock, Rap, R&B, children's music, etc. throughout our house while dancing, cleaning and playing around.

I love this picture of Jaden and Henry (a little boy who I used to watch) at age 21 mo. playing guitars, dressed in matching striped shirts:)
Photobucket
The Jaden, Henry and Kailee band (Oct. '05)
Photobucket
Henry on guitar and Jaden on drums was the usual set-up.
Photobucket
Jaden, Kailee and Nina playing drums that they made out of old oatmeal containers (notice baby B in the background swinging and sleeping through the noise!).
Photobucket
Jaden, Kailee and Laurel jammin' on guitars (Spring '08)
Photobucket
We also have speakers mounted outside by our deck that are fun to dance to as shown in this post.

7) Cookie sheets--not only for baking cookies but also for playing with! Putting a few beans, rice, lentils, (or in these pictures, cous cous) on a cookie sheet and letting a little boy push his Bob the Builder trucks around on it will leave plenty of time for Mama to make dinner or accomplish some other chore!
Photobucket
Photobucket
We also had some powder stuff when mixed with water made "snow" (leftover from a stocking gift for Jaden a few years ago). It turns out that Bob the Builder and his crew love digging, scooping, and rolling around in snow too! "Can we fix it? Yes we can!!!" (I am such a boy mom quoting Bob the Builder;)
Photobucket
Photobucket
A glass measuring cup and a few different sized glasses or containers and a small plastic funnel on a cookie sheet can also entertain for awhile. Jaden used to love this "pouring work" when he was Bryson's age (sadly I cannot find a single picture of him doing it though:( I always introduce it by explaining how you hold a glass with a handle and where the spout is (of course to the tune of I'm a Little Teapot). The cookie sheet keeps the majority of the water contained but they always get a little wet as well, here Bryson is just wearing a shirt and underwear (yes we have begun the potty-training process!).
Photobucket

2 comments:

The Alexander's said...

I LOVE the idea of the rice on the cookie sheet to drive their trucks around in. I will need to remember that when Zane is a little bit older! Great ideas all around!

Erin said...

A-
This was a GREAT post!! So many wonderful ideas. I love the picture of Jaden and Henry in scuba gear...so adorable! Thanks for the shout-out too!