3rd time I fell in love
Now I hope it lasts. . .
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
Oh, oh, oh, oh
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
The Right Stuff!
. . . If these lyrics don't sound familiar then that means that you were most likely not a tween from 1988-1991! I was, and I was desperately 'in love' with Joey McIntyre from the New Kids on The Block! My room was plastered with posters torn out of Bop and Tigerbeat magazines. I had a Joey doll, t-shirts, videos, books, all of their cassettes (wow that really ages me huh?), even some freakin' NKOTB marbles that I found in a grocery store and I just had to have (thanks mom). Speaking of my mom, she was kind enough to buy me tickets to 2 New Kids concerts back in the day, the 1st was the Magic Summer tour in the summer of 1990 at the Kingdome--which no longer exists (she and I went with one of my friends) and the other was at the Tacoma dome where she dropped my friend Lauren and I off and then waited at a coffee shop until the concert ended.
Why am I reliving the past? Because I just went to the New Kids' reunion concert on Saturday at the Tacoma dome and it was AWESOME! Seriously, I felt like I was 12 again! I went with my friend Krissy and 4 of her super nice friends and we had so much fun dancing and singing along to all of the songs. Before the concert we all met at a Tacoma sports bar and had some food and of course, some drinks:) Then Step by Step we made our way to the dome feeling pretty good and quite ready to be Hangin' Tough. The dome was packed and super LOUD (with 30-somethings screaming like they were 13 again--me included;), and the "kids" truly put on a great show with all of their old hits and a handful of their new songs off their new album The Block.
Lisa, Krissy, and me at the sports bar before the concert

I had to dig through my NKOTB box that is in my dad's attic in order to go old school and wear my 1990 Magic Summer concert t-shirt. . . you do not know how excited I was that my 30 year old body 2 kids later was able to fit into a shirt that I wore when I was 12! (okay, okay the cotton had some stretch to it:)
Lisa outdid everyone by sportin' her old-school NKOTB coat!

At the dome right before the concert started



(I somehow didn't get any pics of the other 3 girls Jenn, Becky and Jessica!)
We had pretty decent seats 30 rows up from the right side of the stage, but even then my camera's crappy zoom didn't take any good pictures of the performance so these next few are all credited to Krissy with her super-zoom camera! Thanks Krissy!
The Beantown boys from l. to r. are Jon, Jordan, Donnie, Joe, and Danny

During I'll Be Lovin' You (Forever)

Click, Click, Click

Step by Step

My favorite song from back then (I used to imagine that Joey Joe was singing it to me, lol!) Excuse the shaking and horrible zoom on my camera!
A 2008 song Summertime (which gets me all nostalgic. . .)
2008 concert similarities and differences compared to 1990
Differences
*Average ages of the concert-goers this time was 26-35 yrs. compared to 8-17 yrs.
*Sexual innuendos would've never happened in those days
*We are all able to drink!
*Choreography and singing was much better (although I thought they were perfect back then!)
*They had female back-up dancers
*Lack of hormonal changes in the screaming girls (except for maybe the ones that were pregnant at this show;)
*There were guys there! (although few, there were wayyyy more in 2008 than there were back in 1990!)
*Souvenirs are now a LOT more ($40+ for a t-shirt!)
*I was exhausted afterwards and couldn't wait to crawl into my bed and snuggle up to my husband.
Similarities
*Everyone was standing up during the entire 2 hour concert
*All the women were SCREAMING like they were 12 again (except back in the day we were 12)
*NKOTB put on an awesome show!
*My ears were ringing and I felt 1/2 deaf after the show!
*My throat was sore from screaming
What a fun night, I truly never ever thought that I would be at a New Kids on The Block concert again in 2008 but I am so glad that I was!
3 comments:
For some reason I couldn't see your pictures, but your written work was awesome!! I had a blast too and am so happy we were all able to go. They better come back next summer as eluded too!!!
well, if it makes you feel any better, I was actually too old to be into NKOTB! Looks like it was fun though
Oh my gosh! You and Lisa have the best posts! I love these pictures and can't stop looking through them and showing people. Since I got married this year, I am obligated to say that was the best day of the year... this was a VERY close second!!! (Just don't tell Dave that).
Post a Comment