My firstborn son Jaden is already 4 1/2 years (why do they grow up so fast!). He was our little surprise baby and we found out we were pregnant less than a year after we got married (we had planned on waiting a couple of years until after we had built our house). I'm so grateful that our "plans" changed and we had him when we did:) He was born on Friday, December 12, 2003. I was a teacher up until the day that he was born and I went to class on that Friday expecting to make gingerbread cookies with my class but instead went into labor. I am not going to go into his birth story except to say that it was pretty uneventful and normal and YES I did get drugs! I chose to have an epidural after I found out that I was 7cm dilated even though Todd was really pushing for a natural birth (and that is only b/c the doula who taught our childbirth class pushed natural childbirth like crazy. . . which is great for those that can do it, I on the other hand was a wimp and got drugs;). So much for not going into the birth story too much! My sweet baby boy came into this world at 9:41 pm and was immediately put on my chest. After a little while the nurses had to take him b/c he refused to cry and they had to suction his lungs b/c he had water in them. Even though he was a week early, the doctors thought that my estimated due date was actually wrong since he was a bit wrinkly, had super long fingernails and there was meconium in the amniotic fluid. He weighed in at 8 lbs. 10 oz. and 21 in. long and was absolutely perfect, his middle name is Todd after his daddy.

Fast forward 4 1/2 years, I cannot believe how grown up he seems to me now. Age 4 has been really fun, his temper tantrums are few and far between (not that he ever had very many), he is also at an age where he can listen (mostly) to reason, can carry on a conversation, he also can do so much by himself (like getting dressed completely--except for shoe-tying, go to the bathroom on his own, get himself a snack or some water, and clean up after himself). He attended the Montessori school where I used to teach this past year and that definitely helped him gain some more independence.
Here are 7 super things about Jaden:
- Jaden loves to make people laugh. At an early age I could tell that he had a great sense of humor b/c when he would do or say something that people laughed at he would continue to do it over and over.
- Jaden LOVES babies (especially their heads!). This started shortly after Bryson was born, he was obsessed with his baby brother and loved stroking his hair and snuggling to him. He really enjoyed it as Bryson got older and would laugh at some of the things that Jaden would do. He loves to see friends of ours babies' and I often times have to remind him to give the baby some space b/c he will be right in their face talking to and touching them, but he is sweet and as gentle as a 4 year old rough and tumble little boy could possibly be to them! A few months ago he asked me when we were going to have another baby just like Brycie! He is going to be a wonderful father someday:)

Here he is with our friends' daughter Rose. - He loves to take pictures. Any chance that he gets to take pictures with one of our digital cameras he is in heaven! He photographs his toys, rooms of our house, Mommy, Daddy or Bryson, and even the toilet (yes, he is also into the lovely 4 yr. old boy potty humor;). Here are a few pictures that he took the other day:
Daddy in the kitchen
His Jade plant with the pot painted by him.
A self-portrait - He loves to play with someone/anyone (although he is getting better at playing on his own). Ever since he was a few months old I started watching 1 or 2 other little ones that were close to his age a few days per week. He loves to have his buddies over to play with. He really enjoys playing with Kailee who I started watching when she was just 5 mo. old and Jaden was 2 1/2 mo. old. He loves when "Kailes" comes over to play and it has been so fun watching them grow up together. Almost everyday he asks me, "Who is coming over today?"

Jaden, Kailee and Laurel jamming on guitars
5. He wants to be a superhero when he grows up! He loves to play-pretend that he is a superhero and his favorite superhero of all time is Superman. He has a superman shirt that he would wear everyday if I let him (it is a long-sleeved shirt and he will try and talk me into letting him wear it even when it is 90 degrees out). He has Superman and Batman action figures and he and Brycie will role-play with them for hours. He also has a Buzz Lightyear compass that is worn like a watch and he pretends to tap it and "transform" into different superheros (Superman, Batman, Spiderman, Green Lantern, Buzz Lightyear, etc.). I have been meaning to make/buy him a cape but in the meantime old baby blankets work well enough for him:) He even had a Superman-themed 4th birthday party.
6. Other things that he enjoys playing with lately have been his army men. My friend and her son brought some to the beach when we met up a few weeks ago and Jaden played with them nonstop! I went to Target to pick some up and they were on clearance for 48 cents a bag. I bought 2 bags. It was the best $1 toy that he has ever received, he has played with them for weeks. He enjoys setting them up in lines, and also putting them in matching groups. He plays with them in restaurants, in the sand, in the dirt, in the playroom, on the deck, on the floor, etc.
On the beach
At home
On the whale tail sculpture
He even set them up on the roof of my car when it was parked in the garage (his head is sticking out of my sunroof).
7. He is the best big brother ever! He loves Bryson so much and they already play extremely well together (most of the time!). He loves to go into Brycie's room in the morning and climb into his crib to snuggle and play with him. He is really good at sharing his toys with him and always tries to calm him down when he cries. Jaden enjoys teaching Bryson new words and beams with pride when Bryson learns to do or say something new. I just know that they will be best buds for the rest of their lives!

1 comment:
What a great blog! I loved reading that!!!
Post a Comment