Sunday, January 16, 2011

Bryson's finished room--finally!

Prepare for a lot of pictures!  We finally finished Bryson's new room!  I am so proud of this space, I have been envisioning how I wanted it to look and dreaming up plans for it for over a year (before I even got pregnant). 
Of course, when I say "finished" there are still a few things that need to be done.  I want to buy wood blinds for the windows (which needs to happen soon as he has no curtains either for privacy), I want to have someone make a cushion for the window seat and the new built-ins need hardware on the drawers and cabinets. 
I always wanted a window seat in this room, Todd thought window seats were "girly" but I knew they could be for either gender!  He has so much storage now in his new built-ins and under the window seat.
I have collected nautical stuff for years, ever since I was in high school and did a knock-off of an Edward Hopper painting people started gifting me lighthouses.  Then when I had Jaden I chose a nautical Pottery Barn crib set and continued my nautical obsession!

I love how the wall behind his bed turned out, I copied the idea from a Pottery Barn Kids catalogue only it was navy blue.  I thought Navy would be too much with the Navy stripes and had a hard time deciding on a color and I am so glad I chose this blue!  It wa on the same paint swatch as the Navy I used and matches the blue in his duvet perfectly!  I love the shelf above his bed as well.  I imagine as he gets older that it will hold trophies of his.
Here is a view of the other side of the room, the door to the left leads to the hall and the door on the right is his (small) walk-in closet.
His Pottery Barn life preserver that I bought on sale.
A view standing over by his closet.  The sailboat on his dresser was a gift to him from my dad, it matched perfectly!
I really enjoyed styling all of his shelves.  I had Todd drill a large hole in the back of each shelf so that I could have lamps and my many lighthouses on the shelves.  Love how it glows at night when they are all on.



In the above pictures I didn't have his picture-hanger ready (some of the clothespins needed to be glued back on).  I made this for Jaden's nursery when I was pregnant with him, it hung above the changing table for both boys.  It has some of my favorite pictures of Bryson on it.  Below it I would eventually like to make a wall book display/holder.

Love. that. window. seat.  I also bought some nautical light fixtures that I hope to someday hang above his window seat (they need to be rewired though as they are hardwired currently).



We bought his boat bed, nightstand and dresser off of Craigslist.  It looked brand-new and we got it for an awesome deal!  He LOVES it.  The bedding is from The Land of Nod.
Here are two of my helpers spackling all the nail holes before I painted the board and batten.
My dad graciously came over and helped to paint the cabinets.  I was really afraid that I would go into labor before finishing Bryson's room and before even starting on Landon's room!  Luckily that didn't happen.

No comments: