Friday, August 7, 2009

Crabbing trip '09

We escaped Seattle the morning of July 30th to go up to Deception Pass for our annual crabbing trip. It was the most unprepared packing trip that I had ever planned for! Seattle had a record-breaking heat-wave for the days leading up to our trip. The day before we left it was 103 degrees! Our upstairs was in the 90's and I had just quit my job and had a total of 4 hrs sleep in 48 hours. Todd and I could not bring ourselves to packing the night before as we usually do so we all ended up spending the night next door in Todd's Grandparent's basement where it was a cool 70+ degrees;) We woke up early to pack and our house had thankfully "cooled" down to the mid 80's. I actually did ok with packing although I didn't bring very many warm items for myself (looking at polar fleece in my hot closet I just couldn't bring myself to grab any;). Fortunately, I packed enough cooler-weather clothing for the boys as they definitely ended up needing it in the cooler 50-70+ degree temperatures of D.P.

It felt so refreshing to be in cooler weather once we arrived and we had a great 1st day of crabbing, watching the kids play and eating good food.

Love when Bryson sticks out his tongue when he's concentrating really hard on doing something.
A boy and a sailboat. Such a sweet picture of Evan down by the water.
Miss Laurel:)
J with his tongue out too!
The kids in the crabbing boat.

Bryson and Evan.
Bryson petting Barnes, the sweetest dog ever!
Laurel and Jaden had fun playing cards.


The kids checking out the freshly caught crabs.
Dinner time!
Now that's a hot dog!
Crabbing Days 2 and 3: We decided to set up on the beach this day as we have in years past. It worked out alright for awhile until the tide came up to far and we eventually moved. Amy, Tom and their boys joined us this day as well.




Keith's guns

Teamwork in cooking crab!
Barrett and Keith putting the crabs in the "hot tub".
Cleaning the crab.




On Saturday morning we noticed at breakfast that all the kids were wearing Adidas pants so we had to try and do a photo shoot. Here I am trying to line them up by playing follow-the-leader. (L. to R. Brody, Jackson, Bryson, Evan, Jaden and Laurel)
Bunny hop


Erin was entertaining the kids here. Love the laughter in this shot!
Erin was getting "low, low, low" and B decided to smack that @$$ tush! (family blog;)
Todd, dad, the boys and I out in the boat later in the day to collect some pots.



Deception Pass bridge as the fog is lifting.




While waiting for the crab pots to set the kids enjoyed playing soccer.
Bryson enjoyed wearing my shoes;)
Laurel enjoyed stacking buckets on her head!
My dad and Keith the main crab cookers.

Jaden and Laurel had so much fun playing together.





Keith checking out my dad's new look! Fashion trend-setter that he is! Bald Eagle
The entire group (minus Barrett and Gramps who left Saturday morning)

Group Shot take 2
On Sunday, we hung around our campsite for awhile and had a delicious breakfast. The kids enjoyed playing in the weeds.



Erin and I were also given "beautiful" rings made by our husbands. We challenged them to outdo Keith from last year but it didn't quite make the cut! It was funny and endearing though:)
Then we headed to the beach. Laurel, Jaden and Bryson walked with me while the others drove supplies down in the cars.

It was such a beautiful day and everyone had so much fun playing, chatting and eating while looking out at the incredible view!
My dad and B on a teeter-totter.

J and I climbed the rock before the tide came in too high.

Todd and J playing horse-shoes.

Jaden and Laurel discovered this fort that someone made out of driftwood. They could've stayed and played here all day!

Erin and I
Jon and Erin
Keith, Laurel, Jaden and Todd throwing rocks in the water.
Jaden and Laurel helped out by rolling the corn in foil for dinner.
The kids played musical chairs while waiting for dinner.
Monday, our last full day at D.P.

Another picture on the stump (this time including Evan) on our way to the beach.


Keith and Laura
Todd and I took the boys on a hike in the afternoon.

We found this awesomely huge driftwood teeter-totter!


The boys enjoying some Toy Story while waiting for dinner on our last night.


Such a fun trip, can't wait until next year!

No comments: